McCLURE — Two McClure natives — Sidney C. Roberts and Robert C. McMillen — who died in World War I were recognized with the naming of the Roberts-McMillen American Legion Post No. 332.
Robert Kane, who is currently the adjutant/finance officer for the McClure Post and has held numerous offices throughout the years for the post, county and district, said the legion was originally named solely for Robert McMillen, but was later renamed to Roberts-McMillen to also recognize Sidney Roberts.
According to The Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War, while Roberts was originally from McClure, he entered the service from Illinois and served as a private in the 5th Regiment Marine Corp. He was killed in action June 15, 1918, and is buried in Aisne-Marne Cemetery in Belleau, France, in Grave 38, Plot A, Row 7.
According to an article in the Henry County Signal on July 4, 1918, Roberts was a graduate of McClure schools and, in approximately 1915, Roberts moved to Toledo with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Orrin Roberts.
“He was a fine young man, who had many friends in and around McClure,” the article stated. “Before enlisting, Roberts attended night school in Toledo and was taking a course in mechanical drawing.”
According to The Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War, McMillen was born in McClure and joined the Army April 27, 1918, at 23 years old. He served in 11 Company 3 Training Battalion 158 Depot Brigade until May 3, 1918, when he served in Company F 329 Infantry until July 30, 1918. He was in the Battle of Saint-Mihiel and the Meuse–Argonne Offensive and was serving as a private with Company 101 Infantry at the time of his death in Argonne Forest in France, Oct. 26, 1918, when he was part of the defensive sector of the American Expeditionary Forces.
His father, Frank D. McMillen of Deshler, was notified of his death. He is buried in Meuse-Argonne Cemetery in Romagne-Sous-Montfaucon, in Block F, Row 38 and Grave 31.
The McClure Legion was chartered Jan. 27, 1920, and the post is located at 230 S. East St. in the village. With approximately 65 members, the legion sponsors Veterans Day and Memorial Day activities, as well as Buckeye Boys and Girls State delegates.