With no shortage of rain through the week, Henry County is included in the National Weather Service of Northern Indiana’s flood warning that has been extended through 9 a.m. Friday.

Sunday morning was the last 24-hour recording period in which the Defiance Airport precipitation collection point reported no precipitation. For the period between Sunday and Monday at 8:24 a.m., 0.47 inches of rain was collected. By 8:38 p.m. Monday, that data collection point reported a 24-hour rain total of 3.55 inches. On Tuesday at 8:13 a.m., the data point reported a 24-hour rain total of 3.81 inches. The 24-hour period between Monday and Tuesday evenings was 0.62 inches, and between Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, it was reported as 0.17 inches.

A local storm reporter in Ottawa (Putnam County) reported 3.55 inches between early Sunday and 6:39 a.m. Tuesday. A storm reporter in Defiance reported 4.12 inches of rain between early Sunday and 1 a.m. Tuesday. Paulding County officials reported there was basement and crawlspace flooding in the Village of Payne Monday evening.

The emergency management agency in Van Wert reported 3.34 inches of rain fell between Sunday morning and Monday evening. A weather spotter in Williams County reported 2.14 inches falling between midnight and 4 p.m. Monday.

Hydrology data from the National Weather Service shows the Maumee River data collection point at Napoleon has experienced minor flooding for portions of Tuesday and Wednesday. The minor flooding stage at this data point is 12 feet, and a measurement of 12.27 feet was recorded at 3:15 p.m. Wednesday.

The service estimates this data point will peak at 12.4 feet before dropping down through the rest of the week. These estimates show this point of the river dropping to the caution stage of 10-12 feet today and then dropping below 10 feet Friday.

Flood impact data through the National Weather Service states when the river at the Napoleon point reaches 12.5 feet, recreational grounds near Napoleon begin to flood, and, at 12 feet, flooding of farm land and possibly secondary roads near the river begins.

At the Defiance data collection point for the Maumee River, a measurement of 14.56 feet was recorded at 4:15 p.m. Wednesday. This data point’s caution stage is from 8-10 feet, and its minor flooding stage is from 10-15 feet. The forecast for the Defiance point shows the levels will taper off before reaching the moderate flooding stage of 15 feet.

According to the National Weather Service hydrology forecast, the Defiance point of the river will remain in minor flooding stages into Friday and will not drop out of the caution stage until Saturday.

Looking ahead, the National Weather Service of Northern Indiana is forecasting a 30% chance of showers after 11 a.m. today, with a lingering 20% chance overnight. A 30% chance of showers is forecast between 2-8 p.m. Friday. A 30% chance is forecast after 2 a.m. Sunday morning and a 40% chance, with thunderstorms possible, after 2 p.m. that day.

The extended forecast for Memorial Day according to the weather service shows a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms, with high temperatures near 84 degrees. Tuesday also has a chance of showers and thunderstorms.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.