Fire officials report there were no injuries from a fire Wednesday in Napoleon, and a dog was saved in the process.
The fire occurred at 11 Sutherland Ave. in Napoleon Wednesday evening. Napoleon Fire Chief Clayton O’Brien said the department was dispatched at 7:06 p.m. Wednesday and, upon its arrival, found a shed on fire that was extending to the trailer.
“My brother was leaving and he called and said, ‘Dude, you have to come out here and see this,’” said Caleb Butler, who lives next to the scene.
“He saw the flames shooting out both sides of the shed,” added Butler. “It was already totally engulfed by the time we got out there and there was lots of black smoke.”
Butler added as close as the shed is to the trailer, he’s surprised the trailer did not catch fire. Firefighters on scene worked to prevent that from happening.
“We got there pretty quickly,” O’Brien said, noting that crews arrived at the scene in seven minutes.
There was heavy damage to the shed, and some to the trailer, O’Brien reported. Firefighters saved a dog from the trailer, and no injuries were reported.
O’Brien said the source of the fire was a gas generator for heat running in the shed that was surrounded by flammable materials.
Butler said he could hear popping noises coming from inside the shed during the fire, likely the propane containers.
One individual was displaced. O’Brien said the department extinguished the fire using 1,310 gallons of water.
Providing mutual aid were Napoleon Police Department and Ridgeville Township Volunteer Fire Department.