WHAT: The 2019 Home and Garden Tour presented by the Henry County Historical Society.
WHEN: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, July 13 and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, July 14.
WHERE: There are seven locations in Napoleon included in the tour, which is a fundraiser for the organization, according to Peggy Johnson of the historical society.
•Bloomfield Home Museum, 229 W. Clinton St. — The museum was established in 2003 as a centerpiece for the Henry County Historical Society. Built in 1879, the brick Queen Anne style house was the home of Dr. John Bloomfield and his family. It has been maintained in the period of 1879-1925 with furnishing, decor and color schemes reflective of those time periods.
•First Presbyterian Church, 303 W. Washington St. — While the First Presbyterian Church of Napoleon was founded in 1861, the current building was built from 1901-03. In 1990, the church was listed in the National Register of the Ohio Historical Society. Features of the church include hand-cut stone from quarries near Mansfield, rusticated sandstone, clay roof tiles, buttressed walls, gothic-arched stained glass windows crafted in Holland and a dome skylight in the ceiling that contains the seal of the Presbyterian Church. Renovations were done 1961-63 and, in 1996, four bronze bells cast in France and weighing 350-1,400 pounds were installed.
•Robert and Johanna Costigan, 304 W. Main St. — The former Manse of the First Presbyterian Church, the Colonial Revival style house was built around 1909. The church purchased it in 1912 for $6,300 to house their pastors until selling it in 1988. The home features a large central foyer, open stairway, three fireplaces, built-in bookcases and beamed ceilings. A recently redecorated den previously was a “pastor’s study,” with a backdoor leading to the church. The Costigans and their four children have lived in the home for three years and the garden not only features flower beds but a garden for the children to participate in growing vegetables.
•Brenda Stough, 517 Avon Place — The property is the home of Brenda Stough and the late Dr. Wilson Stough, who was a family physician in McClure and Napoleon. While the home is not open to the tour, visitors are welcome to view the gardens, flowers, trees and creative plantings. The garden features wandering paths, relaxing patios, stone walls and two fountains made from limestone from the Maumee River and capstones from curbs on Avon Place. The doctor’s office is also open to the tour and was formerly a Pure Oil Gas Station. It served as a doctor’s office and, after Wilson Stough’s retirement, turned into a gathering place and area to display hand-crafted furniture and frames made from trees he planted and harvested. Brenda Stough’s “weaving” shed is also a unique structure.
•Tom and Beth Jenny, 420 Welsted St. — The late Queen Anne Victorian transition house was built around 1909 by Henry Kolbe. The Jennys have lived in the home for 34 years while raising their three children. Much remodeling has been done over the years, including stripping woodwork and floors to expose oak trim and red oak floors, as well as a pine subfloor in the kitchen. Beth Jenny decorated each room with her wreaths, flowers and needlework, while Tom Jenny, who is president of the Henry County Historical Society, explained historical items from their family are also displayed throughout the home. Continuously blooming plantings line the driveway, and the Jennys designed the backyard deck and gardens over the years. The rockery and patio perennial beds are designed as a floracycle, allowing colors to show from April through October. A rain collection system is utilized, along with a composting area. Herb and vegetable gardens and fruit plantings are also featured.
•Gary and Jamie Bostelman, 926 Riverview Ave. — The Colonial-style home was built in the early 1990s, and the Bostelmans have resided there since 2006. The home features original oak floors, doors and upstairs woodwork, while the original cabinets were moved to the garage and basement. A master bedroom and bath was added to the first floor and an enclosed sunroom and deck were created at a later date. The upstairs and kitchen have also both been remodeled. A fence creates separate garden areas, and a recent memory garden has been created.
•Janice and John Leatherman, 543 W. Washington St. — This home was constructed in the early 1920s, and the Leathermans are only the second owners of the property. It was built by Don and Dorothy Orwig, owners of a newspaper in Napoleon. The Leathermans have lived in the home for 27 years and kept the original flooring, woodwork, and ceilings in the dining room, the tile in the bathroom and the floor in the kitchen. When the home was purchased, the kitchen was opened up and oak cabinets replaced metal cabinets. A trellis of clematis makes an entrance to the backyard, which includes an original functional fish pond and water garden, as well as a fairy garden. A garage was also added on the opposite side of the house in the same design as the house.
COST: $12 per ticket, which allows entry for all seven locations. $10 per ticket for members of the Henry County Historical Society. Tickets may be purchased at the Bloomfield Home Museum. Parking is available at the museum for carpooling.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Restrooms are available at Bloomfield Home Museum, Johnson’s Ice Cream Shop, boat ramp at Glenwood Avenue and County Road 424, Oakwood Park and Glenwood Park.